Tuesday, May 24, 2005

That’s a Paddlin’

Well as several members of the Wednesday Nite crew prepare for their traditional float down the Rappahannock (wear your bathing suits and Dr. Pepe do apply generous amounts of sun protection) I felt this story appropriate. First let us recall, that despite current hop-based loyalties, there was a time in which we did not partake of the Sierra. No friends-our original drink of choice was the Rappahannock Red of the Potowmac Brewing Company (this of course occurred while Phillipe was “teaching for his life” in Compton). Unfortunately we were quite literally the only people who ever drank the stuff and the HT got rid of said brew. We weren’t quite as entrenched back then, but one wonders the fate of the now out of business Potowmac Brewing Company if held our current sway?

In any event, needing a like-tasting replacement we opted for Sierra and soon found we had made a giant step forward. Within a few short years we had come to be known as the Sierra Club and that Paddle shaped tap of Rappahannock Red was long forgotten by most (but not Washboard). Then one cold night as I filtered into the Hard Times expecting a cool Sierra to magically unfold in front of my seat at the bar, the bartender instead greeted me inquisitively. I didn’t like the looks of this. My heart sank as I was informed there was no more Sierra. As shock waves filtered through by body I staggered to order some other beer. No, I don’t know what I ordered --it’s not important. What is important is that in recognition of our loyalty to either the HT, Sierra-or perhaps just a brief moment when a blind eye was turned-the Sierra Club ended up with the tap head. Join us over the course of the next few weeks as we document our misadventures with our own version of flat Stanley.

After my departure for the Nutmeg state, look forward to updates of the whereabouts of the Sierra tap-a seminal part of Wednesday Nite lore.

--Washboard

p.s. bonus points for identiying the title reference

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

paddlin a canoe? you better believe that's a paddlin'

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home